[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - Things I've seen

Things I've seen

Order by Date Ascending

Tipping Competitions -- Info./Selections for Tipping Competitions
Page 1 of 1

Original Blog Post:

I've been here a fair while, more than 70 years in fact, and in that time I've been to race meetings all across Australia and New Zealand.

I was leaning on the fence when Cardigan Bay started from 78 yards and won the 1963 Auckland cup, I was lucky enough to be a members guest at Gloucester Park when Mt Eden butchered the start and gave them "officially" 80 yards start, seemed more like 120 to those that were there, and still brained 'em.

Live, or thru the magic of TV, I have been lucky enough to see Vain break their hearts in a disdainful performance in his slipper win and I recall fondly the way So You Think put them away in his second Cox Plate, and Winx in her second. I thought that Placid Ark was a bully of the highest order with both his Flemington Autumn runs in the '87 season.

There was the dominance of Might and Power in his C'field cup win and the '66 Melbourne cup of Gallilee, all of these falling into what I consider to be "smack their bums,and put them in their place" kind of runs.

I saw either live or on TV or both, in some cases horses the likes of Kingston Town, Octagonal, Sunline, Northerly, Maykibe Diva, the pacers Christian Cullen and Blacks a Fake and many many others who have or who should have been labelled champions, including the unforgettable Black Caviar, BUT NEVER have I witnessed a horse of any age or gender, win with the ease and authority that WINX did in the Ryder Stakes on Saturday, the 18th March 2017.

Not saying others have not done as good, or better, some thru courage and toughness, some through longevity {Manikato}, for whatever reason floats your boat, but I personally put this race down as the best performance I have ever witnessed on an Australian racetrack.

If something gets your juices flowing and you feel it ranks better, let me know. I wont argue, I'll just enjoy the memories with you.

Author: imaj eel
Subject: Things I've seen

Time: 20/3/2017 12:38:53 PM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: tigerrish
Subject: Re: Things I've seen

Time: 22/3/2017 10:02:02 PM

Blog Reply:

Top stuff, ima jeel.

I've always thought Might and Power's QE stakes win was as one sided as it gets.

Winx wasn't far from that on the weekend.

And I still shake my head anytime I see the demolition job Manikato did on them in the Ryder Stakes the first time around. It was a well known fact the Gary Willets got his nose out of joint after they rubbished him for the loss in the Rosehill Guineas and he wanted to show everyone what the horse could do. But Manikato raced like he wanted to show them who was boss too

Author: Todman

Time: 22/3/2017 11:48:22 AM

Blog Reply:

I am a bit embarrassed not to have included Black Caviar in my posting. She didn't start out as a favorite of mine, but it didn't take long, to get there.

Author: Pot8os

Time: 22/3/2017 10:26:12 AM

Blog Reply:

Wow great memories guys.I remember my father taking me to Warwick Farm to watch the great Tulloch in the late 50's.
Being at Warwick Farm to see a 2yo from Queensland come from the back to swamp them.Not to know the great things GUNSYND was about to achieve.
Those two are etched in my mind.

EVERY HORSE HAS A STORY.

Author: Capekid

Time: 21/3/2017 6:42:00 PM

Blog Reply:

What luxurious times we live in. Didn't think I'd see a better middle distance mare than Sunline but the evidence speaks for itself. BC an absolute joy to watch with that wonderful lengthening of stride that made the others look second rate as Winx does. Enlightened times indeed.

CK

Author: marbine

Time: 21/3/2017 1:26:33 PM

Blog Reply:

Black Caviar's Lightning Stakes win in 2011 was every bit as easy/arrogant IMO.

Author: Todman

Time: 20/3/2017 1:52:35 PM

Blog Reply:

Great post imaj eel.

As a stand alone win, Winx's effort on Saturday was outstanding.

I have seen many remarkable wins by champions, near champions and even lesser lights.

I think Might And Power, won the Caulfield Cup by 7 1/2 lengths and won the QE on a bog by over 10 lengths. As a front running fast stayer, those wins were extraordinary.

The win on Saturday, by Winx, was almost disrespectful to her opposition, as she did it so easy, and this is why it was such a champion effort. Wet track or not, there were well credentialed runners in her wake.

I have a very strong opinion that Tulloch is the best horse since Phar Lap. Todman, Vain, Luskin Star, Kingston Town & Lonhro, were other favorites of mine across the last 60 years.

The Winx story has yet to be finished. She has already reached great heights. Such is her aura, that I expect her to rise to even greater heights, which is also scary. It may be unfair to expect better, but she wins with such ease, it leaves one wondering if her peak performances are still ahead of her.

The QE may end up being a quality field. Let's hope so, as she deserves to race against the best available.

Page 1 of 1

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.